17 May 2020

Our mobiles will stop ringing one day...

By Maj Gen AKS Sengar (Retd)

(Anil is my coursemate from NDA. He was one of the most upright officers of the Indian Army. We knew him for his toughness, his resilience and his ability to laugh at himself. But here we find his tenderheartedness. As the old adage goes: those who can can laugh at their own selves have their hearts in the right place. This piece is published here with his permission. )

-----------
Rewind to  1978 , Lima Squadron, the National Defence Academy. The 58th  Course were in their second term, while we were in our final term.
There was this good natured,  likeable guy called Prabhu. He was a sweet 'Tambi'(as all guys South of the Vindhyas were called in the Academy), and like  most second termers, was limping about, all over. We were more like friends despite the huge chasm between a SCC (Squadron Cadet Captain) and a Second Termer. Prabhu was heavy so I would use him as my exercise tool, getting him to jump on my abdomen to enable me to test the condition of my core muscles after I did my ab crunches.  He had a peculiar voice that remained stored in my 'hard disk', even after passing out of the Academy and joining my Regiment after advanced training at the IMA.
Sometimes, while remembering my Academy Days,  I would wonder as to which Regiment my junior friend would be serving in.
35 years later,  when I was commanding my Division, I received a call from an unknown number. Instantly recognizing the familiar voice at the other end,  I queried, 'is  that Prabhu, 58 Lion?'  Yes Sir!  he confirmed.  Prabhu was surprised that  I could remember him and recognize his voice after over three decades.
I enquired about his Regiment and current status. He replied that he had been withdrawn from the NDA during his fourth term on medical grounds.  I asked him as to what was he doing now.

 He replied, ' I am waiting.'

   Not comprehending his reply, I asked him to elaborate.... waiting for what ?
   He replied calmly,  'waiting to die.'  That really stunned me!  One can never anticipate such a reply!

I asked him, 'why are you saying so?'  He replied, 'what ever can go wrong with a man, is wrong with me.'   Shaken,  I  told him that I would like  him  to come over  and spend some time with my family at our home. He replied that he was very eager to meet me and my family,  but was not in a condition to do so.
I asked him,  'why not?' He replied,  'I am chair bound. One leg has been amputed due to diabetes and the other is in danger. due to the same reason. My life alternates between my bed and my wheel chair.' Speaking to him,  I could visualize his innocent face  right in front of me. I asked him about his family. He replied that he could never get married because of his ailments.
I asked him as to where was he staying. He informed me that he was staying with his brother who was single.  I told him that I would definitely look him up whenever I could come down South.

We spoke twice a month. Two months later, when I called him up,  I got the reply.
'Please check the number you have dialled.The number does not exist.'

I came to know later,  from one of his Course Mates,  that he was no more!

Our numbers too, will also cease to exist one day. We can be grateful for the life that we have had. We keep quarrelling over silly things.
We can do a lot better and try to be better human beings while we still have the chance.
Best wishes
Anil Sengar

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So appropriate in this trying times of Covid19

Priyadarshini said...

Though times are tough there are many things that make us feel grateful about our life .

Arun said...

A very sobering thought.... we need to count our blessings and focus on the present

Ineresting? ShareThis

search engine marketing