08 January 2024

Love, pray, hate, and envy: how they fare between 'I' and 'you'

I was curious about how the frequency of the phrases 'I love you', 'I hate you', 'I envy you', and 'I pray you' were used in the books and other English material. And, how one phrase fared against the other. This was made easy through Google's Ngram app. The data was from year 1800 to the year 2019. There were some startling, if counter intuitive revelations:

(a) 'I pray you' was way above 'I love you', 'I hate you', 'I envy you' in 1800.

(b) After a few oscillations, in 1845, 'I pray you' started going down; in the same year 'I love you' started going up. The other phrases more or less remained unaltered.

(c) In 1890, 'I love you' and 'I pray you' crossed each other. 'I pray you' would never surpass 'I love you' after that. All other phrases remained unaltered.

(d) In 1975, 'I love you' started accelerating. Other phrases remained almost at the same level.

(e) From 1987, 'I love you' kept moving up. All other phrases reached their nadir.

(f) From 1995, 'I love you' moved North exponentially. 'I hate you' and 'I pray you' also started moving up slowly. 'I envy you' remained at the same level.

(g) At 2016, 'I love you' peaked at 0.001353%. After which it started dropping rapidly.

(h) During 2019, 'I love you' had dropped to 0.0012983%. Distant second was 'I pray you' which outperformed 'I hate you', albeit, only by a bit.



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bottom line .. Love is the most dominant feeling in humans and actually in all living beings as being the embodiments of God

ashishroyk said...

It is said that literature is a reflection of society. We keep hearing that 'hate' has grown manifolds in the 21st century. Some even say, 'Ghor Kaliyug' aa gaya hai.' I reckoned this a quick and dirty way to measure if English literature is indeed in sync with what wise folks are saying. We have seen how the term for exasperation or frustration has gone from 'Damn' to 'Shit' to 'F**k' (if we follow pulp fiction). The results are indeed counter intuitive. Has love grown? Or has hate grown? Or has the language of entreaty grown? Counter intuitively, it seems love has outdone most emotions.
Of course, my metrics to measure could be over simplification.

Ineresting? ShareThis

search engine marketing